Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Siblings

I just successfully put both kids to bed, ending a 3 day stretch of single parenting while Tom's been out of town. Yeeeaaahh Mommy! It actually wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I didn't cry or shout once! I did put William to bed a little early this evening, as I was ready for the day to be over.

Having two kids is actually more fun that I ever thought it would be. To wit: William & Emilia shared their first laugh the other day. At dinner Monday night, Emilia, while sitting on my lap, with William in his high chair, did something - snorted, smiled, I'm not sure what - that cracked William up. His laugh then started her laughing, and they went back & forth laughing at the other for at least a minute or two. It was quite cute and charming.

Not having grown up with a sibling I'm not really sure what to expect for my kids' relationship with each other. Tom is 5 years older than his brother so having siblings close together is new for both of us. It seems like you either hear horror stories or sugar coated candy about siblings.

Once I knew I wanted to have kids, I knew I wanted to have more than one. While some people seem to idolize the privledges of only children, I hated not having a sibling. While I'm sure there's an element of 'grass is always greener...' here, I was really lonely not having a sib. And then there's the stigma: as an acquaintance in college said to me, "You don't SEEM like an only child." What, I'm not completely self-absorbed? I know how to talk to people? I'm not dripping in diamonds?

On an unrelated note, the situation Alice describes in this post really made me mad. The hospice where my mom died was unusual I know, but what's wrong with this country and our medical care system that we can't make people's last days at least humane if not comfortable and peaceful. Oh yes, that's right, it's a medical care system, not a HEALTH care system. Silly me, I forgot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home