Sunday, April 24, 2005

Emilia

Our daughter Emilia was born in early March, and she's a beaut. We like her a lot.

Over the past few weeks, I've been reflecting about what happening when William was her age, when my mom was dying, and all the things we went through - trying to communicate with doctors and other medical personnel 200 miles away, driving 6 hours to see my mom when William was less than 3 weeks old, trying to teach him how to eat from a bottle when we were living in a hospice. In retrospect, it's amazing to me that we made it through all of that - I can't believe I didn't completely crack (came close, though).

With Emilia, and having only the 'normal' craziness of having a baby in our lives, I really feel like I'm getting to enjoy the lovely parts of having a newborn... gazing at her, cuddling with her, getting her to smile... I know those things were there with William, but it's really scary how little I remember of his babyhood. Maybe all parents are like that once the second child arrives?

I worried so much that the intensity of his first few months would harm him. It doesn't seem to have, though, now at nearly 2 years of age. It may be just his temperment, but if there's any impact from that time, he seems to be very aware of others, and their emotions, which is good and bad. He's mostly just a really happy little guy, and I like being with him.

Now I have a daughter and a son. I never thought I'd be in this place - married, two children, happy (?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home